Rollerblading Accident

Broken Front TeethOn Sunday, September 28, 2008, I was on my way to one of the most important meetings for my Fraternity. My roommate and I are Brothers, so we left together; he was on a bike and I was on rollerblades. To go faster, I held onto the seat of my roommate’s bike and yelled, “Faster, faster!” with a smile of excitement on my face. Suddenly, he yelled, “Bump!” and the next thing I know is that I’m on the ground, spitting blood out of my mouth. I had to have had some air time as I landed more than five feet ahead of the pothole. When I realized that my front teeth were partially missing, it was one of the saddest moments of my life. I thought that it could never be fixed since they were my permanent teeth and that I would have to live with broken front teeth for the rest of my life. I also had a large scratch on my nose. My dream of being a celebrity vanished.

A car passed by and stopped with screeching tires. It was a friend and her mother. I was offered a bottle of water, some sound advice about my teeth, and a mirror to see how bad it was. Then they had to leave. I was swearing for several minutes while all of this was happening. I have promised myself not to swear unless absolutely necessary (which is almost never) when I was in grade 7-8. This was a time where swearing was absolutely necessary.

I rinsed my mouth and drank some water. Then I scrambled to find the remains of my teeth on the cement sidewalk. I found a large piece and placed it into the water bottle. Several pedestrians and a bicyclist passed me while I was cleaning myself up and while my good friend was comforting me. We went to Health Services on campus to see if I can get some additional help, but they were closed. Thus, we went to the Turnkey Desk and got some alcohol and gauze.

Assuring that I will not hold onto any more bike seats while on rollerblades, we went to our meeting. Upon arrival, some Brothers were concerned about my health and my good pledge Brother drove me to the hospital. After a few hours, it was determined that I needed to get my teeth filled. My Brother drove me to the dentist and I got my teeth filled. I am very thankful that he spent so much time with me.
Purple Potato
Over the next several weeks, I had to get temporary caps and later crowns. Every time I went to the dentist, I had to get two anaesthetic needles right in the gum above my front teeth. They hurt more than the fall. Two weeks after my crowns were put in place, I started getting tooth aches; my teeth were inflamed. I took extra strength ibuprofen and antibiotics for a week.

On Friday, December 5, 2008, I had two of my top wisdom teeth extracted. It was one factor in causing my tooth aches. Now I am sitting at home, writing this blog post, and eating a soft purple potato.

Leave a comment

Design by Mang Pui Lau | Copyright © 2007-2019 Mang Pui Lau | Advertise